Sunday, April 19, 2009

Our first twins scare...

We had a scary weekend. Friday at around 5:00 pm I started having contractions about every 2-5 minutes. At about 8:00 pm we went to the hospital to be monitored. They were still happening there so they admitted me. First, they gave me a shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions which made me extremely hypotensive and made my blood pressure 90/40. I turned pale white, got shaky, blurry vision,etc. I felt the worst I have ever felt. Thank god that lasted only about 10 min.

Then they gave me a drug called procardia every four hours that must have done the trick because after about 4 doses of it I was just having a maybe 4 or so contractions an hour which is normal at this stage anyway especially with twins. I was so relieved they stopped. I was really scared there for a while.

They had me stay until Sunday afternoon to monitor me, keep giving me the meds and give me two doses of steroid shots that will speed up the maturity of the twins lungs in case they were to be born early. I feel good about this because if something were to happen this might prevent them being in the NICU at all or for a long period of time.

They said up until 35 weeks they would try to stop the contractions if they happen again. I will be 31 weeks Tuesday. So this means I just need about 4 more weeks. The nurse said 35 weekers usually do really well. She also said that a lot of times this is a one time event. I am praying so :).

This was the first time I was away from Taylor for more than 12 hours. She did great with both grandmas and they loved it. I guess it was a good trial run for the real thing and will be one less thing I have to worry about :).We had a good cuddle session when I got home and all is right with my worls again.

The good news is: According to the hospital I can still be on modified bed rest which means just trying to take it easy and lay down or sit most of the time, avoid cleaning/errands (oh darn) and trying not to lift Taylor except when necessary. I see the perinatologist Monday and the OB Tuesday so hopefully they won't change this to strict bedrest.

3 comments:

JDiLuigi said...

Happy to hear that you are back home:) I am sure that was scary - and thank goodness things worked out. I am counting down the days with you...can't wait to meet those wonderful babies!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the three of you :) are doing well now. 4 weeks is no time at all. Stay in there babies!!

Sara said...

amen....
you forgot to mention how big those little munchkins are already!
that was exciting to me!
i know YOU aren't thrilled about being so big, but I was so relieved to hear that they are good sized babies!
still wish I lived closer so i could get to your house!